Uni web guildelines
(from an email from Steve Pillinger, 05/09/2008)
Many of you will be aware that the University is 'adjusting' its web presence. As part of this School's have been asked to look at their web pages and in particular check that they conform with the following guidelines. Most of us have personal web pages so need to be aware of the guidelines and attempt to comply with them where possible. Those of us who are responsible for areas of the main website should take particular note and try to spend some time checking the pages meet the guidelines.
Checklist for Web-Coordinators for their pages
- Is it legal? See http://www.bham.ac.uk/legal/
- Is it wrong or out of date? If so, update, correct, or remove.
- Are grammar and spellings correct? If not, correct.
- Is it misleading, confusing or contradictory? If so, correct or remove.
- Does it reflect poorly on the University? If so, rewrite or remove.
- Does it duplicate existing information on other pages? If so, amend or remove.
- Are there any broken links or major navigation inconsistencies? If so, please fix.
- Does it comply with Accessibility guidelines?
- Images and animations Use alt text to describe the function of each visual.
- Multimedia Provide captioning and transcripts of audio, and descriptions of video.
- Links Use text that makes sense when read out of context. For example, avoid âclick here.â
- Page organisation Use headings, lists, mark-up and consistent structure