There is an mentoring scheme in place but it really depends on a mentor being assigned- this doesn't always happen! So if a new research student turns up at a desk in your office, you (or someone else in your office) should become their mentor.
Some of the things you can do as a mentor:
- Talk to them!
- Show them around our building
- Find out if they are in the process of getting a computer account- if not direct them to the support office
- Be ready to answer questions they may have about life in The School/This Uni/Birmingham/UK/The World
- Introduce them to the rest of us (address here - CC them so we can give a typical CS welcome (via email))
- Send them a link to this wiki!
- Add anything else you can think of to this list - no made up Ph.D. student initiations, unless documented here :)
Currently Chris Staite is responsible for assigning a mentor to new PhD students. If you've just started and don't know who your mentor is, please get in touch with Chris!